Friday, January 30, 2009

Thanksgiving in Oregon

This year we spent Thanksgiving in Oregon with Tamsen's aunt Debbie and uncle Lee and her cousins, Daniel and Jake. We flew to Portland with Tamsen's grandma and nana. It was Tamsen's first time on an airplane and she thought it was a great adventure. When we landed in Portland, she thought we were back in Salt Lake and going to drive to Danny's house. We had tons of fun and crammed a lot of fun things into a few short days.

On Tuesday, we got up and went to Cosco. Everyone thinks I'm insane, but since we don't have a Cosco at home, it's always on my list to do when we go somewhere there is one! I love going there! Mmmmm......churros! After lunch, we drove about an hour to a beautiful waterfall. Tamsen fell asleep on the way and wasn't real happy about having to get out and see a waterfall. She was glad when it was time to go and was really happy when we stopped to get nuggets and fries on the way home. We drove past several Christmas tree farms and saw the helicopters picking up the trees and taking them to where they'd be loaded on trucks, I assume. It was really cool! It was a drizzly, foggy day, but the waterfall was pretty and the scenery was gorgeous. I can't believe all the trees and how green everything is.
Wednesday, we got up early and headed to the coast. We spent the day in Newport. Tamsen was really excited to see the ocean and wanted to put her swimsuit on and go the beach. Unfortunately, it was only about 60 degrees, so there wasn't going to be any swimsuits today! We went and saw a lighthouse. Tamsen wanted to climb to the top, so I had to get really brave and climb all those stairs with her. Did I mention that I HATE heights! The stairs would have been ok, but they were the ones where there's only the risers and nothing in between, so you can totally see through them. UGH! My palms are starting to sweat just thinking about it! About halfway up, I hear, "MOM, You're hurting my hand!" So maybe I was holding her hand a little tight. But all I could think about was her slipping and falling through those stairs. I know, I know, like that would really happen... But we made it to the top, and it was really cool to go up and actually see the light in the lighthouse. The view from the top was great too! I was glad I did it, but even more relieved when I was back down on the ground!

After the lighthouse, we had lunch at this great restaurant right on the beach. The clam chowder was SOOO good! After lunch we headed north to one of the beaches so the kids could get out and play. They had tons of fun digging in the sand and building sand castles. Afterwards, we went to downtown Newport to go to some shops and to see the sea lions. The last stop was the candy store and then we headed home with three tired kids, two tired moms, and a tired nana! It was a really fun day.
Thursday was the big day! Deb and I got up early and started cooking dinner. We had a lot of fun and who doesn't love Thanksgiving dinner! We all ate and ate and ate, then spent the afternoon snoozing and watching movies. Friday, Tamsen and I had to fly home. Tams thought flying was lots more fun this time because she could see the stuff on the ground. It was such a fun trip. We can't wait to go back!


No comments: